Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Motivation

As you all may know, all of our consumer behaviour and consumer purchases derive from motivation. Why else do you devour your favourite chocolate bar, or buy a pair of unneeded cute shoes when your sad? Motivation is a process that leads people to behave as they do; it occurs when a need is aroused, that a consumer wishes to satisfy (Solomon, 2013). For example, last Tuesday was 'student discount' day at the grocery store, nonetheless, the only time I go. For those that actually do their own groceries, do you ever make a list of things to buy, and then end up buying everything on that list and more? Well that’s exactly what happened to me. Every time I go grocery shopping, even though I have a specific list of 'everything I need to buy', I always feel the need to walk down every aisle, especially down my favourite 'junk food' aisle, consisting of chocolate. The problem with walking down your 'favourite aisles' and seeing your 'favourite' items, is that it is very difficult not to buy your favourite chocolate bar, or favourite bag of chips. 

So I did it again.. this past Tuesday I was walking down my favourite aisle, the chocolate aisle, and for some reason found it 100% necessary to buy an entire box of chocolates all to myself. (Of course I bought Baci.. I mean I'm Italian)..

Walking down the chocolate aisle was not a great idea since that Tuesday I promised myself that I would stick to my grocery list and budget-- guess not! 

As stated in my consumer behaviour class, 'Once a need has been activated, a state tension exists that drives the consumer to eliminate or reduce that need' (Solomon, 2013). So, as you may be wondering, the only way I could have reduced my 'tension' between the Baci box of chocolates on the shelve and me staring and salivating, was to buy it. I'm sure many can relate to my grocery example-- we have all be tempted to buy our favourite foods, even if it’s not so healthy.

In relation to motivation, exists 'motivational strength'. Our 'motivational strength' is our degree of willingness to expand energy to reach a goal. We all have goals, many, many goals... the question is, which ones are you willing to work harder towards than others to obtain them? Many may have the goal to lose 40 pounds, in which an individual may expand, much energy to work hard to fulfill this goal. Other individuals may have a goal as simple as 'getting a good nights sleep'. Throughout my life, I have had a variation of goals. My goals have been both short and long term, some fulfilled, and others waiting to be fulfilled. But with each goal I have ever had, consisted of a drive to fulfil that goal. In other words, a drive is the desire to satisfy a biological need, to reduce a physiological arousal. An example of your biological need may be as simple as your stomach rumbling, while your physiological arousal would be reduced by fulfilling your hunger, such as having a home cooked meal at your parents house.



This week I am home for Thanksgiving break-- it was a perfect time to come home since I just finished completing a stressful week of assignments due and some midterms completed. The thought of coming home after a hard week of work truly was a reward to me and I used that as my motivation and goal to get me through. The day I was home, my Mom spoiled me and brought me for dinner where I totally devoured myself with wine, steak, veggies and potatoes and an amazing cheesecake! This was much better then some of the meals I was making myself during school! 
(Doesn't it look amazing?) 

Until the subject 'motivation' was brought up in my consumer behaviour class, I never really thought much about what motivates me to buy certain things. Being more aware of how motivation can trigger certain 'cravings', wants or needs at particular times, I can now understand why I tend to buy products such as junk food based on my mood or how it may be displayed in a store. 


So next time you walk into a store, such as a grocery store, stop and think... what motivates you to buy certain products; do you have certain goals in mind when buying them? 

Check out this link for further explanation of motivation!!
http://psychology.about.com/od/mindex/g/motivation-definition.htm
_______________________________________________________________
Picture Sources:
http://organicrunnermom.com/monday-motivation-a-little-late-setting-mini-goals-to-stay-motivated/


Content Sources:
Solomon, M. R., Zaichkowsky, J. L. and Polegato, R. (2013) Consumer Behaviour: Buying, Having, and Being, Sixth Canadian Edition. Toronto: Prentice Hall Canada.
________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment